• Breaking News

    Monday, August 24, 2020

    LoL Guide 30/30/40 - 250 Games - Final Thoughts

    LoL Guide 30/30/40 - 250 Games - Final Thoughts


    30/30/40 - 250 Games - Final Thoughts

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 09:58 AM PDT

    This is the last thread I'll make covering the 30/30/40 principle. Previous thread at 30~ games and 100 games. I've done the "full" 250 log covering the "climb", and I'm pretty much done. I feel more tilted than relieved. I was hoping to have gotten to Gold, but I ended up dropping from S2 to S4, then to high S1, then back down to S4 by the end. My MMR bounced from low gold to low bronze, so I ended up getting an unexpected low-elo cross section.

    What is 30/30/40?

    To recap, 30/30/40 is a principle that coaches use to assist players in identifying where they have agency in their games, and where to focus. The breakdown, with variation in numbers, is:

    • 30% of games are unwinnable
    • 30% of games are unloseable
    • 40% of games can be directly influenced by you

    In effect, while you will have impossible games, if you focus on the games that you can influence, you should see a positive swing in your win rate. You are not entirely at the mercy of trash teams.

    Not going to lie though, it definitely ****ing feels like it at times. More on this later.

    My results

    Full table.

    Of 250 games:

    • 128 losses
    • 122 wins

    Win Rate 48.8%, which is pretty much exactly what my total WR is. No surprise there.

    Based on my post-game judgement, I labelled the games as the following:

    • 40 Unloseable games (16%)
    • 73 Unwinnable games (30%)
    • 137 Winnable games (54%)

    Of the 137 "Winnable" games:

    • 55 losses
    • 82 wins

    Therefore, I won 60% of the games I considered winnable.

    What makes a game "winnable" vs "unloseable / unwinnable"?

    The main criteria, subjectively, is: could I have won the game from my position? Assuming that I didn't make mistakes and misplays, did everything right, could I have impacted the outcome of the game?

    Conversely, did something happen in the game that more or less guaranteed the outcome no matter what you did?

    The straightforward example is when someone leaves the game, turning it into a 4v5 (either for or against you). Assuming both teams are equal in skill, this is pretty much a fatal handicap and you're not realistically expected to win a 4v5, and you should stomp a 5v4. Remember that this is Solo Q, and you're not smufing low tier.

    Sliding down the subjectivity scale, you get teams with trolls and hard inters. These are usually quite obvious: they pick ridiculous off-meta champions that just don't work, or they do stupid stuff in game like walk up to turrets and feed. Further down, and the most difficult to identify, are soft inters and, more innocuously, players who are having an exceptionally good/bad game.

    The latter might be debatable and post-game analysis might change the evaluation, but this is not the main focus of the data collection.

    How do my stats check out?

    My ratio is 16/30/54. Even with subjectivity in mind, exactly 30% of my games were unwinnable. While my Unloseable games were half in number, it's not inconceivable that 14% of my "winnable" games were in fact unloseable, depending on the perspective.

    Firstly, games which I was directly responsible for causing the win I counted as "Winnable", as I directly influenced the outcome. So if I crushed bot lane and carried the team, while the outcome was pretty much decided, I made it happen (or played a significant role), and therefore if I was afk the game would not have turned out that way. I counted "unloseable" games as those in which the team carried me (e.g. a 10-0 Garen deleting everyone in 15 minutes). I might have done really well in some of these games, but it didn't really matter. The subjective call here would be whether or not the team would've won without my contribution.

    Secondly, it's far easier to judge a game as unwinnable. This is in part due to how we perceive the negative bias - throws are far more common than clutches. Also, as you only see one side of the match, you know when your team has self-destructed, but you don't always know if the other team has (I don't play with All chat). A game in which I stomped might actually be a soft int. For example, in one post-game chat, the other team told us that the support refused to play their role, locked in Tristana and went top, holding their team hostage. I wouldn't have known this, so some relatively easy wins were probably unloseable.

    What does it mean?

    As someone who fits the "hardstuck Silver" stereotype, I often do feel hopeless and at the mercy of my team. But, given the 250 game log, most of the time I can't blame my team. My experience shouldn't be all that different to most people who are in the same situation. If I play better and more consistently, I should see a change in my win rate.

    As I dropped down to lower elos (not intentionally, of course), I felt I was in elo hell. People were doing dumber things, as expected. More fragile egos and weak mentals. But at the same time, it isn't hard to see how a skilled player could carry by dominating their lane.

    There is one huge caveat for me: I exclusively play Support (apart from a handful of secondary picks, in which case I won most of my ADC games). Most of my frustration probably came from my singular role. Supports generally have less carry potential, especially if you are not a mage support, so you're typically not poised to smash both bot lane opponents and turn around the 0-10 mid Yasuo and neutralise the 10-0 Zed while also stopping the T3 top turret from falling. You might do it as Brand by pressing R at the right time, but a Lulu relies more on teammates being competent.

    I'm pretty confident that someone who is playing an actual carry role, especially in Mid or Jungle, should be able to control the outcome more, especially in low elo. You're mostly dealing with a 1v1, so if you dominate your lane with superior play, you can in effect be worth 2 players. In turn, most of the collapses I observed were because of those roles being completely outplayed.

    My observation as a Support main is that if at least one other lane is doing well, I could close the victory 60% of the time. But if no other lane was at least neutral, I couldn't swing the game as a support.

    Your mileage will vary, depending on your skill, experience and role.

    In the end, the main thing I got out of it was to recognise that some games aren't worth focusing on. It doesn't mean you don't try your best or that you can't get anything out of it. You're going to get trash teams and unwinnable games. But as much as it feels like it, especially when it seems that you get 5 in a row, they should still only be a minority of your games. That, alone, probably feels too much (Riot plz), but you do have the potential to climb if you humble yourself and actually study to become better rather than hoping for good teams.

    Where to from here?

    I'm pretty much done with the data collection. Firstly because I think it's enough of a sample size, given the previous evaluations. Secondly, it's just getting tiring and frustrating, and I'd rather focus on the slow grind up to Gold without worrying about evaluating each game.

    I know several others are trying their hand at this. I'd be most interested in seeing observations from other roles. Doing this as a Support main has perhaps given an insight from the least influential role, and therefore the most balanced judgement on winnable/unwinnable games. I feel that someone doing Mid, JG or Top would probable feel that more games are winnable.

    I lastly want to cover some of the common comments and responses from previous threads.

    "You should get a pro to analyse your games to see whether they were really unwinnable."

    The point is to evaluate how you can turn winnable games into wins, not whether or not games were unwinnable. If 40-60% of your games are winnable, you should be winning most of them. That's the focus. If you're going to get some pro coaching, there's little point in heavily analysing a game that is a 4v5 loss. At this point, I don't need a pro to convince me that I could win the game. What matters is in that time, I didn't feel that I could turn around a game where someone runs it down middle. This isn't a figurative 4v6 where someone is playing badly, but a literal 4v6 where an ally is sabotaging the game. There might be a few "unwinnables" that could be re-evaluated, but in the end: who cares?

    "The win rate should be 50/50 if you're at your elo"

    30/30/40 doesn't outline your win rate. It breaks down the proportion of games in which you have agency. Assuming that the 30/30 part holds true, you should be winning 50% of the remaining 40 games if you're at your elo.

    "A Challenger smurf can get 90% WR, so 30/30/40 isn't true."

    I'm not a Challenger. You can't expect me, a humble Silver scrub, at a point in the game where we have no Nexus turrets, one disconnected player, one other sitting in fountain, and an FF vote coming in at 19 minutes, to suddenly ace the team with a Sona and win the game. Even pro gamers are not immune to losses caused by griefing players (I've linked Broxah's game where he could solo carry but his team melts down and FFs). There's no point in hypothetically substituting yourself out for a much better player, or just another player, when you're looking at how you can improve.

    Consider that a Challenger can literally 1v5 low-elo players, the skill gap is far too large to reflect anything. The Challenger smurfs are personal challenges and limit tests. The only thing this shows is that a Challenger sees fewer games as unwinnable and believes they can (and should) win every game against inferior opponents.

    30/30/40 is used to coach people through the climb. It isn't an absolute ratio that describes what smurfs do.

    Edit #1:

    "There's no such thing as an unwinnable game."

    If you're a top tier player or limit testing, this might technically be true. But in the constraints of an average player (for your elo), a 4v5 (either virtual through a troll or tilted teammate, or literally in terms of a disconnect or leaver) is unrealistically winnable.

    There's a point where a team becomes too heavy for you, regardless of your skill level or what role you play. My final game in the 250 set was paired with a bronze Caitlyn who was facing a 1.2 million Alistar and simply did not know what Alistar actually does. I literally cannot stop the ADC from continually walking out and being insta-killed by a W+Q combo within 5 seconds of returning to lane. You know the right play is to be safe and farm by tower, and even the ADC said so, but never did this and continually walked up to Alistar.

    Even then, I didn't necessarily write this game off as unwinnable. But the only lane that was at least neutral was a mid-Lux. We stuck it out, but the chances of winning with three players who were constantly feeding were just too unrealistic to take seriously. That's what most of the subjective "unwinnable" calls were. They technically might not be unwinnable, but it's easier to move onto the next game than to fight over this one.

    "You're too subjective with calling games unwinnable."

    This might be true, but it works in both directions. There will be games that I thought were winnable but were actually unloseable due to factors that I wasn't aware of. There will be many winnable games that someone might point out "Hey, your teammate single-handedly tried to 1v5 Baron and cost you the entire game and there was nothing you could have done about it".

    I normally gave the benefit of the doubt and labelled games as winnable, which is the point. Even if you remove the questionable unwinnable calls, the "impossible to win/lose" games roughly balances out, which means you're mostly in control of your wins.

    Again, too many people are fixated on what is "unwinnable" even though it's a smaller % of games, rather than appreciating that most games are wins or are winnable.

    submitted by /u/nusensei
    [link] [comments]

    The Art of Bot Lane: How to Win Bot Lane Fights

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 07:42 AM PDT

    How to Win EVERY Bot Lane Fight - The Art of Bot Lane

    I'm providing the transcript below for those who prefer reading. Bear in mind there's a lot of visual content involved and you may find it easier to follow through the video. But I'll provide links below for all the clips used in the video, unmonetized so you don't have to watch ads over and over.


    So today I want to talk about one of the most important fundamentals for improving your bot lane gameplay, the most important facet to winning fights on bot lane, the single biggest, most impactful tip that will dramatically improve your laning performance on bot lane. It is 3 words that will change the way you approach every bot lane fight. Those 3 simple words, are: Focus the carry.

    Simple, right? Well, you think you understand it but trust me you don't. There is a lot more to this subject than you realize so I'm going to talk about it and provide some clips to show examples of what I'm talking about, starting with this clip of a bot lane fight in one of my Diamond 1 games.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZLCJZnndpo

    On the surface, this looks like I, the Tristana, am just getting hooked twice and got caught and the main mistake in this clip is that I'm not respecting Thresh hook, right? Well actually, this fight only happened because I wasn't afraid of getting hooked because I knew that we win 2v2s in this matchup, and even after getting hooked we only lost the fight because the Diamond 1 Nami didn't focus Vayne.

    I don't know if you noticed but throughout the entire clip from the moment I got hit by the first hook Nami hasn't hit Vayne once, all of her damage has gone onto Thresh. So because I was so convinced that this should have been a good fight for us, I did the math of how much damage we missed out on from Nami's bad focus and it confirmed that really wasn't as bad of a fight as it looks.

    Nami could have potentially hit Vayne 4 times throughout the clip but by the time I died she hadn't hit her a single time except with one W before the fights even started. Nami autos were doing 41 damage so that's already 164 missed damage onto Vayne.

    Spellthief's, which at the time still dealt damage, would have procced on one of those autos which was doing 10 damage so 174 damage missed. She didn't use Ignite which was doing 90 damage so that adds up to 264 damage missed. If she'd Ignited early before Vayne Heal, which was very realistic since Vayne Heal was even later than mine, she would have removed 42 HP from its healing, adding up to 306 damage missed.

    Vayne at the time that I died had 341 HP, which followed by a Nami auto-attack with a newly acquired Spellthief's proc took her down to 291 HP, and her newly acquired Aery did another 11 damage and dropped her down to 280 HP. With the 306 damage Nami missed out on prior to that throughout the clip, that means that Vayne should have either died at the same time as me or even before me.

    And that changes things, doesn't it? Because even if we don't count the very first of the missed potential autos, since I took this fight already knowing that Vayne's HP was 51 HP healthier than it should be, she was still well within the range of making this an even trade and possibly even an outplayable situation, rather than the fight it actually ended up being where it just looks like I'm getting caught and refusing to Flash and my death is no one's fault but mine.

    This was a perfectly reasonable fight to take, but it was Nami's focus that made it look stupid. Even though I made mistakes this was still a perfectly winnable fight, and the only reason it didn't look that way is because Nami wasn't focusing the right target.

    But this is a Diamond 1 Nami, and not only that but she was also my premade. I was duoing with her specifically because in most ways she was better than the average supports at this Elo, and still she didn't properly understand this fundamental of focusing the carry and ended up throwing our lane this game because of it.

    So between this and all the other clips I'll be showing in this video which all take place between Diamond 1 and Master MMR, it should be obvious that the simple concept of focusing the carry isn't actually as well understood as you'd think it is, and it's very easy even at the highest level for people to make the mistake of not focusing the carry when they should have, instead going for targets that are nearer, more vulnerable, or lower HP, even if it means that the carry is then going to clean them up after they get the kill.


    I'm going to show you one of the more extreme examples showcasing how one side focusing the carry while the other doesn't can yield an advantage to the one focusing the carry.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iOLDvdJlso

    In this clip the enemy bot which includes a bot lane Syndra blow all their cooldowns except for Syndra ult onto my support Vel'Koz, who dies before he really gets to do anything. But despite the enemy bot lane being full HP and having the numbers advantage, I go in on Syndra anyway because they've wasted all their damage and CC on my support and have nothing left to kill me with.

    Syndra has her ult still and has a low cooldown on Q, but those alone aren't enough to kill me this early on in the game and Alistar autos may as well not be a factor. Lee ends up picking up an assist with his shield, but I finish killing Syndra without a single hit from Lee and most of his shield goes unused anyway.

    This was a fight where my support died without getting to contribute anything before I was even in the fight, so I couldn't start putting out damage until he was already dead, and we still win the fight because they didn't focus the carry while I did. To most players this scenario would seem like one of those exceptions where focusing the support is fine because you can burst him so fast anyway, but as you can see it clearly wasn't since even full HP in a 2v1 they had no answer for the Twitch who cleans the fight up.

    This clip is the perfect example of how even some of the freeest looking picks can still be bad to go for if it requires you to invest too many cooldowns onto the support. Note how if I'd focused Alistar instead of Syndra, there was no chance that he would die because of his ult, and the moment his cooldowns come back up I would end up dying to their combined burst as Syndra's cooldowns returned too.

    But in actuality, even while Syndra's running from me and Alistar is in melee range, I never switch focus to Alistar and start kiting him, I always completely ignore him and keep going on Syndra, and it's this refusal to dedicate any time whatsoever towards hitting the support that turns a pick onto my support, into a 1 for 1 in our favour.


    Why is this strategy so ridiculously effective, just why is it so important that you focus the carry? To simplify it as much as possible, when you focus down one of the enemy bot laners and force them to retreat while the other one is still freely hitting you, you are going to take way more damage if the ADC is the one still freely hitting you compared to if they're the ones being forced onto the retreat and it's the support trying to clean you up.

    Even when the support does a lot of damage it's still true that you are going to take more DPS from the ADC than the support in that situation. For example, Zyra does a lot of damage, but it takes her 1 second to use it. Once she's cast her spells, it doesn't matter anymore whether she lives or dies or runs away or keeps fighting, her spells will have already burst you and her plants will already be attacking you.Her contribution to the fight is already pretty much over and the DPS that she can contribute by staying in the fight from that point onward is very small.

    The only way it could be useful to focus her is if you can CC her and burst her down before she can even use her spells, but if you happen to fail at that, she's just going to mash every button on her keyboard and just like that she's contributed everything she needs to contribute, meaning everything you devoted to using on her to kill her before she had a chance to cast her spells has gone to waste.

    And I actually have a clip available where you can watch this exact scenario play out in a real game:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LYu-eCqZ1Y

    The fight begins with Zyra getting hooked, and she ends up tanking Thresh hook, Thresh Flay and Xayah E. And what happens? Even while tanking a tower shot, she still uses her Q, W and E and leaves the fight having contributed all she has to contribute, while they have no cooldowns left to address me.

    Now unfortunately in this clip I actually screwed up really badly because I took not just one but two unnecessary tower shots, which ends up turning this into a 1 for 1 instead of the clean kill on Xayah that it should've been, but it still works out in our favour due to the position of the waves.

    This was the worst possible execution, and it still works and even saves Zyra just because while they focused the support, I focused the carry, and even though they focused Zyra she still hit all of her spells on Xayah, exactly the same as she would've done if she hadn't been getting focused to begin with. The damage and CC they used on Zyra brought them close to getting 300 extra gold from her death, but it made no progress at all on actually winning the fight, since if I'm doing the correct thing in focusing their carry, then they can't really win the fight until I'm out of it, either dead or forced to retreat.

    Now I can show you how that scenario plays out when I don't screw it up, because believe it or not their bot lane was actually dumb enough to try it again:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwoOJOX4niY

    This time Zyra unfortunately dies to the very last Ignite tick, but again we're the ones who ultimately win the fight because focusing Zyra doesn't stop her pressing QWE on Xayah, and I'm aware enough to see I have an opportunity to kill Xayah because of it and because of the fact that they don't have any abilities left to stop me.


    In all of these clips, it's always my DPS that's turning the fights around because the enemy bot lane ignores it in favour of killing my support. Sometimes they succeed in killing my support, sometimes my support gets away and the enemies find it's too late to start focusing me because I've already done too much damage, but regardless every single time where my support was in danger of dying, the simple act of me walking up and hitting the enemy carry, forces the enemy bot lane to give up what would otherwise be a free kill on my support because I'm putting them in a position where they focus me or die, and most of the time it's already too late.

    For example, here's a clip where the enemy bot lane instantly turns on me once I go in on the enemy carry, but it's too late because they already invested all their cooldowns on my support:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sH28yx3ckY

    At the start of the fight while I'm hitting Pyke, notice that I use no spells whatsoever, not even Q, until I eventually jump in on Kai'Sa. This is because they haven't yet made the mistake of committing everything onto Nautilus yet, if I go in now they still have all their abilities left to fight back with, so I do the only safe option of hitting Pyke, but not making the mistake of committing valuable cooldowns onto him.

    Once Pyke starts casting Q I try to juke it but it turns out to not be necessary since he was aiming for Nautilus anyway, followed by chain CCing him with his E too. Now that Pyke has everything on cooldown, I know for a fact that I could kill Kai'Sa 1v2 so I jump in on her.

    Kai'Sa immediately turns away from Nautilus and turns her attention to me, and Pyke likewise ignores the low HP Nautilus and turns to me instead, but at this point the damage is already done. Kai'Sa got hit by Nautilus Q, Nautilus passive, Nautilus W and Nautilus E, and proceeded to get hit by every spell in my kit too which I'd been saving for that very moment, while both Pyke and Kai'Sa impatiently blew everything they had on Nautilus.

    In this case, it doesn't matter that they didn't ignore me when I jumped on Kai'Sa, because they couldn't deal with me without their cooldowns, so the moment they blew them all on Nautilus, they already lost the fight. By the time I jumped in the damage was already done and there was nothing they could do to salvage the situation.


    By now I think I've already done a good job highlighting how fights are won or lost based on which bot lane more correctly follows the fundamental of focusing the carry, but I'm just going to play some more clips of me winning and turning around mostly unfavourable fights by ignoring the support and focusing the carry while the enemies make the mistake of not doing the same.

    And let me preface this by saying that these clips are not cherry picked in the slightest, I went through my replays and found fights showcasing the effectiveness of this principle in almost every game I'd played on that patch over the previous 2 days, and so you will see that most of these clips are from the same games because of how common it is even in Diamond 1 for fights to be decided by a huge gap in understanding of this fundamental.

    And because these games are all in Diamond 1 to Master MMR, they serve as the perfect example of how this is not a subject that everyone past bronze understands to perfection, it is a complex aspect which I tend to execute better than my opponents simply because I put a lot more thought into it than they do. Even in this Elo people constantly get side tracked by factors like which champion is already closer to them and which champion is already lower HP, and the following clips show what happens when you let yourself get distracted by that stuff against an opponent who understands that the ultimate target to focus in any fight is the carry.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxzNK374fvQ

    Here, when they try and kill Nautilus I immediately bully Ezreal out of the fight. Only once he's zoned out do I turn on Bard, and when Ezreal tries to re-enter the fight again, I immediately turn back to him and kill him as he greedily commits to Nautilus regardless.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWBhH9rNxWk

    Here, Shaco makes the mistake of focusing Nautilus and Bard isn't able to peel me off of Ezreal before I kill him. The result is that the fight is already looking really good for us even before Taliyah joins in and helps us clean up, since they don't have the damage of their ADC to clean up.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWBhH9rNxWk

    Here, Tristana goes on Rammus instead of me, and even though me and Rammus are both extremely low, I just focus a similarly low Tristana while she's ignoring me and I kill her after she kills Rammus, making it a favourable trade for me overall.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxOLzi7divM

    Here Rammus fails an engage and gets massively chunked out. Rather than leaving it at that Tristana tries to fully commit for the kill and dies to me in the process, forgetting once again that an ADC can't survive getting focused freely by another ADC.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxEz_H1OVfs

    This is only a level 1 fight which should in theory be really close, but we stomp it hard because both me and Thresh hit only Lucian until we've successfully forced him out of the fight, while Gragas blows E and 2 autos on Thresh, which as you've learned isn't conductive to winning a fight, as a fight is only won or lost once either ADC has been forced out of the fight, either through death or not being able to safely hit anyone.

    Once Lucian is out we turn on Gragas and then immediately turn back onto Lucian when he gets into range again, never letting him freely hit us. Although this particular fight doesn't end up being a kill for either a side, the trade was ridiculously favoured to us that I can even afford to take a tower shot and still be massively up on HP to both of them while Thresh is also really far up in HP.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K24h1qaOxXM

    Although in this clip Nautilus makes the mistake of focusing Leona because he thinks her being low makes her the best target, both Vayne and Leona make the mistake of focusing Nautilus. 1 player correctly understanding the fundamental beats 0 players understanding it, and I kill Vayne right after Leona dies to my AoE in the process even though she wasn't my primary target.

    Although this ends up making it look like a really fancy outplay, Leona could have dodged my AoE and I still would have killed Vayne and won the fight off of Vayne focusing Nautilus while I focused Vayne. The double kill is just the cherry on top, and the main thing to take away is how much of a stomp it was even without the Leona collateral kill as a result of my focusing the carry.


    As you can see, in most of these clips there were no flashy outplays to win the fight, I just won those fights because every time the enemy bot lanes committed onto my support, I in turn commit onto the enemy ADC.

    Often my support would die and I would just clean up the enemy carry, but sometimes my support would even end up surviving because I killed the enemy carry before they could finish killing my support, or they would have to stop focusing my support and turn to me instead but still die because they had nothing left to hit me with.

    Even when the enemy bot lane has a frontline support, I just ignore them and literally walk past them to hit the carry even though it puts me in range of being focused by both of them where most people would just kite the frontline, and the only reason I can get away with doing that when it should be inting is because those frontline supports keep wasting their cooldowns and having nothing left to threaten me with.

    Bot lane fights almost always come down to a race in who can force one side's ADC out of the fight first, either by killing them, or by getting them low enough that they're zoned out of the fight. Pretty much the only time this isn't true is when both sides hold onto their important cooldowns for so long that the supports end up dropping really low just to auto-attacks or low value abilities that it ends up becoming worthwhile to commit cooldowns just to finish them off. For example, it's more sensible to commit Lucian Q onto a support if it's going to kill them compared to using Lucian Q while the support is still 40% HP.

    Basically, think of that Tristana-Nautilus vs Kai'Sa-Pyke clip I showed you earlier, and how at the start of it I was just autoing Pyke without committing cooldowns. If they had never ended up committing their cooldowns either, rather than jumping onto Kai'Sa I would have kept autoing Pyke until he either left the fight, or dropped so low that I would end up trying to commit my cooldowns to finish him off.

    Even if I couldn't afford to use my E on him, I could still jump on him once he was low enough to realistically die and then use my E on Kai'Sa if she tried to turn on me. This is the sort of circumstance where a fight can actually be decided by a race of whose support dies first rather than whose ADC dies first, and it's only as a result of both sides respecting the fundamental of focusing the ADC that they delay using valuable cooldowns on the support as long as possible, since if they lack the discipline to hold their cooldowns, then the other side will instantly commit all their cooldowns onto the carry and win. Even when the carry doesn't end up being focused, those fights are still only won through both sides following the fundamental of focusing the carry.


    I think that's about all I have to say on this subject, so I hope you guys all found this video helpful. I really do think this is probably the most important video you will ever see on the subject of bot lane fights and I'm sure it'll help you understand the outcomes of fights outside of bot lane as well, where the fundamental of focusing a damage dealer until they're zoned out of the fight will also help you.

    Make sure to subscribe to see more informational videos like these as well as gameplay videos, and I'll see you guys in the next video.

    submitted by /u/VaporaDark
    [link] [comments]

    Some Commentary on the ADC Experience in 2020

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 11:52 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    I've been an ADC main since Season 4 or so. Peaked in Diamond in Season 5 and then took a huge break, now I'm back and playing again in Season 10 and am about to hit Plat with 65% winrate on ADC.

    I wanted to share some thoughts and hopefully spark some discussion around ADC and why it can feel so bad to play at times in this season.

    The main thing I've noticed in my soloq games this season is that top/jungle/mid almost always consist of three threatening champions. Support is often threatening as well, ADC is sometimes threatening. What I mean by threatening is from the perspective of an ADC, champions that can either solo kill me with relative ease or can lock me down such that the enemy team can easily kill me even when we're even in gold. Good examples are Jax, Darius, Ekko, Leona, Malphite, Zed, Fizz, Ashe, etc. Champions that create significant threat on me if they're able to use their kit against me. Even if I'm ahead as ADC or I'm on my power spike, these champions are massive threats.

    The prevalence of these types of champions is really, really high in 2020. Almost every game the enemy team is full of these high threat champions. You don't see nearly as much Xerath, Orianna, Azir, Lulu, Janna, Soraka, Maokai, Amumu, Sion, Braum, J4, Nunu, Poppy, Udyr, Trundle, etc. It's not that these champions are bad, but they're just generally lower threat on the ADC. More passive supports, tank oriented junglers and top laners, and mage mid laners are way less common these days. Nearly everyone either plays ADC themselves or plays champs that are meant to kill ADCs. This results in a soloq metagame where everyone is playing an aggressive style and trying to carry, you don't see many utility/support focused champions outside of the support role. Even in the support role we're seeing more carry oriented champions (Lux, Senna, etc.).

    Further adding to the issues, duo laners get much less XP than solo laners and junglers which means they're always behind in raw stats. Conqueror and electrocute also make it tougher for ADCs, they give both fighters and assassins additional tools to do more damage to ADCs. Common ADC runes allow them to do more damage as well, but they're meant for extended fights (PTA, Lethal Tempo) more so than quick bursty fights.

    All of this put together means that ADCs are often dealing with 3-4 major threats on the enemy team in any given game, with typically 1 or 0 teammates that are focused on helping them thrive.

    submitted by /u/yessum447
    [link] [comments]

    Super new to League, where do I start?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 11:27 AM PDT

    Hi r/summonerschool, I literally just downloaded LoL and I have no idea where to start. I played through the tutorial and have played a bit before, but overall I'm still super new to the game. I know some champions are more viable than others (currently playing Ahri), which ones do you think I should try out? Also, any general tips or advice would be greatly appreciated, as well as potential resources to help me learn. Thanks a ton in advance!

    submitted by /u/Faed1ng
    [link] [comments]

    How to play adc when support takes all the farm?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 03:30 PM PDT

    I normally play support but I wanted to try adc. But then the support just takes all the minions. I am not great at 'csing' but I get like 3 cs per wave in lane then after laning phase I can end with 8 farm per minute. But in laning phase, I can't out cs my veigar support (his W Q does more damage than 3 ashe autos early game). He even sold his support item at 5 mins with only 75 gold earned from it. What do I do? Is this game just over? Or do I just buy the support item and be 'held hostage' in the support role?

    thanks in advance

    Edit: Not joking, I just played another game, this time with an Akali support (same issue as before)...

    submitted by /u/LelsersLasers
    [link] [comments]

    Debunking Loser’s Queue

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 04:42 PM PDT

    The last couple months or so I've seen countless posts and people complaining about ranked being coin flip.

    If you believe this, I challenge you to make a new account and climb as high as you can. Chances are you're going to get stuck at the exact same elo you're in now.

    The hard truth is that your win rate will always average out to 50% at your true elo. If you find yourself not winning lane as often and not being able to out-carry your opponents, then you've reached your peak.

    Improving just becomes exponentially harder when you've reached your peak elo and I feel like that's what makes people toxic and make up excuses such as losers queue or coin flip.

    Just remember a large majority of the players in your elo (especially Platinum-D4/3) don't want to improve anymore because they've hit their peak and hide behind the losers queue mindset, so by accepting the fact that there is so much you can improve on will make you a better player than them in the long run.

    submitted by /u/HerbieLoL
    [link] [comments]

    Statikk Shiv?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 02:22 PM PDT

    Recently I feel like there are no champions that build statikk shiv in their normal build. Adc's sometimes incorporate it if they are hyper fed because its a zeal item and also gives more burst.

    But why is statikk shiv bought so much less than it used to be? And why is every other zeal item so much better (or why are they bought so much more often)?

    submitted by /u/epicduck900
    [link] [comments]

    Celebrating Urgot's 10th birthday with a brand new Urgot Guide! Thought it might be a good fit for anyone looking for a new top laner to learn!

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 11:05 PM PDT

    So, I am a 700k+ Urgot main. I got together with some other notable Urgot mains and created this guide over the past couple months. I thought some players may take benefit from the guide as it not only gives you insight to the champion itself, but some macro play advice for top lane in general involving things like wave management. I hope you guys find it useful, and think that the crab is right for you! : D

    Urgot Guide!

    submitted by /u/Slimjim887
    [link] [comments]

    Why do Pro League midlaners run teleport? Is it worth running in solo queue?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 12:00 PM PDT

    ^ title. I never see any mid running teleport on the ranked ladder or in norms, with the exception of Twisted Fate. I understand that having the utility to join a fight in another lane at any given moment is an important one, but I don't think that is worth taking it over ignite or barrier as both give much more in lane utility (the top laner usually takes tp anyways). What are your thoughts on teleport mid?

    submitted by /u/Shimadacat
    [link] [comments]

    Climbing in Low Elo (From a Low Elo Player)

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 07:15 AM PDT

    So i figured I'd post this tips list because a lot of times I see high elo players post tips and tricks that lower elo players just can't understand so here are the 5 things that helped me get from Bronze 2 to Gold 3. (Mind you that this is the first season i have ever been gold)

    1. When that clock hits 0:01 type /mute all. This is going to be the best way to focus on yourself and not listen to all the toxicity in this elo. Too many times i found myself getting titles because the yas mid was flaming our jungle for not gambling. Avoid it at all costs

    2. Stick to one or two champs per role. It's great to have 5 or 6 champs per role but you only can play one per game so make it count and use someone you KNOW you can do well with. I main adc and support and the ONLY two champs I play are Ashe/Sivir and Rakan/Thresh. Spam the fuck out of them. I promise it'll help.

    3. Before you que up for a ranked game, go into practice tool and just practice csing for 15 minutes. It warms up your fingers and mind and gets you in the league mindset. It also helps in the long haul for better lane play.

    4. Take a break between each game!! Don't immediately jump into a new game, especially if you just lost. Go get some water/snack, pee and watch a youtube video. It'll clear your mind. Also along with this I play a 2 loss rule. No matter how many games i play that day, once I lose 2 I don't play ranked any more that day. It prevents tilt and helps save LP.

    5. Last but not least, remember climbing takes TIME. It's not going to be instant. Players average anywhere from 16-20 lp in this elo so that is at LEAST 5 games to get to promos. It took me 3 months to get where I am. Just relax and take it one game at a time, and I promise you'll start to climb.

    ( Also go watch LCS in your free time, DON'T try to mimick everything they do (you won't be able to) pick one thing out to watch that game, watch how they build and how slow they play, There is no need for 15+ kills. Take the game slow, and you'll win.

    If anyone has any questions just post em below and I'll be happy to answer!

    TL;DR Read this if you suck at league like me and hope to get a LITTLE better.

    submitted by /u/thatfortnitetryhard
    [link] [comments]

    I'm kinda stuck in Silver and I want to know how to escape.

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 05:13 PM PDT

    Just wondering whats the best thing to do when riot forcibly puts you with feeding teammates? The past two games I've tried my absolute best to carry the team but to no avail. The first game I was playing Warwick and I dominated early game, invading the enemy Yi and getting early kills + dragons. However, every other member of my team fed and I lost the game despite going 15/5/7. The next game I was playing Yi and again every member of my team fed and I lost the game again despite going 17/7/5. I just want to know what more could I have done to carry these super heavy teams. I've watched all those jungling guides on how to path and counter jungle and I believe I've employed them but every game every member of my team just decides to int no matter how many times I gank their lanes.

    On another topic, is there any tips to escape Silver? I've been stuck here for 3 years and these super heavy teams just keep dragging me down. I don't always blame my teammates because I make mistakes to, its just that recently I feel like I've been griefed more and more. Sorry if this triggered you, I'm just very tilted right now.

    Here's my op.gg if you guys want to check.

    https://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=steventgj

    submitted by /u/StevenTGJ
    [link] [comments]

    In what situations should Lucian mid be picked?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 08:38 AM PDT

    Hi all, I'm the archetypal player that just goes for gold in ranked, currently just chilling in silver 3 but my LP gains are +30 still, and this season I'm trying to do it in mid lane after maining jungle for most of my 5+ years of playing league. I have experience laning since I mostly played ADC whenever I never got jungle and I typically played Lucian bot lane, so I have a fairly good grasp of how he works in bot lane and his standard trading patterns.

    With Caitlyn and Ashe being strong and annoying picks in bot lane, and ADC feeling a bit underwhelming to me now, I've made the secondary role swap over to mid, since I like to play assassin/carry junglers and was a fan of playing Sylas jungle before his rework.

    With the recent-ish Lucian buffs, I noticed him being picked mid a lot, and I don't have very many AD mid laners in my pool currently, so I'm trying to learn when are the correct situations to play him and what his first 6 levels look like in the laning phase? Is his mid lane build any different compared to a bot lane build? Post-laning phase should I just play him similar to how ADCs are and just stay with the team, or should I try to pressure sidelines?

    Thanks for any help, long time lurker :)

    submitted by /u/Anarkech
    [link] [comments]

    What makes sona lux so broken?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 01:50 PM PDT

    So I love playing sona. I would play her only if she was a good champ to climb with. But I don't get what makes her and Lux so powerful together?

    Is it the fact they both have insane poke, great sustain, and hard cc?

    What makes them so good now and not 5/10 patches ago?

    submitted by /u/Minimum_Rent
    [link] [comments]

    I cant improve need help

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 07:21 AM PDT

    This is my first post Ive been playing since season 4 in ranked and i sometimes quit for a few months I even quit for a year one time. I started off being pretty bad but eventually after learning the core of the game i got to gold and then peaked at platinum 1 which is the farthest I ever got. The problem is I always find myself running in circles on how to get better as an ADC main. The role has changed a lot and im aware of that but I just feel like I cant consistently carry. I know just about everything about the game at this point CSing is easy, knowing when to get objectives is easy,my map awareness is good
    ,my trading is probably my weakpoint (since there are so many matchups bot lane its hard to know when you are in a good one) but even then I have had my fair share of good outplays where I felt like i really did outplay my opponent. But when i get to the higher ranks is where i start to get worn out. Not only are games harder to carry but I just feel like I am missing some fundamentals that the other players at platinum know more consistently. Sometimes i think the role isnt for me, Im honestly a way better support than adc but thats because i dont have to focus as much on farming and such (which just makes me feel like im bad) Im not sure whether its that i tunnel vision too much or if i dont understand spacing or my cs should be better. I think it might be tunnel vision or that im just not having fun sometimes when i play and that makes me play worse but im trying to just be consistent. I dont wiggle too much as a mechanic is that effecting my play? i fiddle around alot with my mouse sensitivity settings to try and find the one that works right for me just any edge i can possibly get but it just seems that sometimes im just not good and sometimes i am. Any tips on how to stay consistent?

    submitted by /u/okimbad
    [link] [comments]

    How do you always keep track of enemy jungler?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 10:19 AM PDT

    Hi im a jungler in silver 4 ive been watching a lot of pro players and high elo players jungling and they always know exactly where the enemy jungler is, even pinging his exact position between 2 towers without vision l. i always look at the beginning to see where the jungler start so i can either go towards him if i have a strong early jungler and fight him at scutle or path away from him if im playing a more scaling jungler. however as the game goes along i start to lose track of where he is and i become scared to go invade him for example. at this elo even if my lanes have prio its very rare they will rotate to help so its going to be a 1v1 and its not really worth. also in this elo its a bit taught to predict the jungler as in some games the herald wont be killed once in 20 mins(i would be behind and see herald up and drake down so he should be top, i try to invade him bot and surprise he is here). do you have any tips?

    submitted by /u/jmbakhos
    [link] [comments]

    How to carry?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 11:30 AM PDT

    Hi, im a g3 toplane player (now actually g4) and i win lane most of the times, getting 2-3 solo kills before min. 15. Then i look at my 0 8 bot. How should i proceed here?

    -Roam down bot to get a shutdown, but instead get squashed by the 7 0 jhin and his zilean that stuns me and puts a GA on him.

    -Stay in lane, keep farming while their fed boi gets fed even more.

    -Try to stay as far away from the fed boi as possible

    -Go afk, get reported and banned

    submitted by /u/-ksokol
    [link] [comments]

    BORK

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 05:22 PM PDT

    Silver 1 Adc Main here. ( actually kind of a twitch otp right now)

    I'm here to ask about bork. Bork does hp % damage so it should be good vs hp stacking tanks. If they have no major tank i usually go Manamune. If i go bork it still does feel like i don't even scratch the tanks and it's way worse than manamune for squishies. Honestly manamune feels way better, should i go it every game where i can stack it at around min 24?

    I've also played some vayne and kog maw, and honestly it works with those 2. I think that's only because of the true damage from vayne and the even more hp % damage from kog maw. As twitch i don't feel like it's good.

    submitted by /u/snanwich
    [link] [comments]

    How to increase click rate

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 11:16 AM PDT

    Hello, I am wondering how I can click faster.

    I thought about it and I realized if I just click faster I will have more input and therefor better mechanics.

    When I try to increase my click speed my tendons get sore.

    How can I try to increase my click speed?

    Are there stretches or exercises I can perform to try to increase click speed without causing soreness?

    The soreness is almost immediate. I can click at my normal pace for 10 hours straight but if I hammer on the mouse for 30 seconds my forearm will hurt for a day.

    Any suggestions?

    How important is this anyways?

    submitted by /u/jubilee414404
    [link] [comments]

    How to counter Garen?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 05:04 PM PDT

    Please for the love of god. I hate fighting garen. What matchups does Garen get countered by? Id also like to know how even matchups should win against Garen. It just feels like he's too tank without having to build tank, stacks conqueror too fast, has r too often, and strong at all stages.

    submitted by /u/RVB11202
    [link] [comments]

    My SoloQ problem

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 07:36 AM PDT

    Hi! Im playing league since season 3. Last season i begin to play soloq not-for-skin-only. And im struggling now.

    I played mainly duo, it's good to have friend by my side. But when i step in rank solo - i cant concentrate.

    My main acc is Plat 1, but when i play solo on gold 4 acc i can lose game feeding like animal. Just dying to ganks or other stupid things. Im feeling like i cant focus on game when i didnt have somebody on "other side".

    I have thought that i got carried to plat, but my solo laning skills is good enough to have good or perfect kda in plat-diamond games. I dont play with jngl main if it's matter. I think its some sort of mental state problem, but i cant find what exactly can i do with it. did somebody have any ideas?

    (sorry may be my English is not so good.)

    submitted by /u/BindedSnake
    [link] [comments]

    Learned a lot about Wave management from a new video of ZedEDU.

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 12:32 PM PDT

    Howdy, I'm a Diamond 4 Top Laner and I've learned a lot by watching this video called "Manage your waves to HIGH ELO | Wave Sequencing & Tempo" made by ZedEDU. It's a very well edited and clean. It helped me clean up many misconceptions, and they can be applied to basically every role. Hopefully, you'll find it helpful too!

    He talks about:

    • High Tempo Openings.

    • Changing Wave Sequences with some examples like Anivia vs Kassadin, Twisted Fate vs Cassiopeia, Twisted Fate vs Fizz.

    submitted by /u/FabioSxO
    [link] [comments]

    Evaluating match ups and in game champ stats

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 02:51 PM PDT

    I've been playing league for a bit now, but I'm not sure I've learned how to properly evaluate the match ups in a solo lane like top or mid and how to determine when/how you can fight and win. I mean this in reference to where there isn't a third party influencing the outcome(friendly/enemy jg gank, a large farm/kill/item difference, etc).

    It's a two part question- the first being I've played long enough to know what every champion does, but find that I don't know how to properly trade a lot of the time. I usually will spar and if I'm not ahead usually lose the trade. Is there no other way besides sticking to a smaller champion pool? I like to play a wide variety bc at the end of the day, I'm here to have some fun rather than win. Ofc winning definitely helps that.

    In addition, I almost never use the base stats that are displayed for yourself to understand the capabilities of the champion, nor do I know how to start using them. This is probably an important part of knowing when to trade too

    submitted by /u/roro3991
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone use spacebar to switch from locked to unlocked?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 09:19 PM PDT

    I swapped spacebar and y and that's how I'm playing atm. I am trying to gradually transition to unlocked cam but this is a good middle-ground. I have my cam speed at 33 and smooth camera turned on too. Does anyone else do this? Tips/tricks/settings would all be very much appreciated.

    Btw has anyone also gotten the reconnect button after a game has finished and upon clicking that button it brings you to a black screen?

    submitted by /u/HoneyJasmineGreenTea
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment