• Breaking News

    Saturday, November 30, 2019

    LoL Guide Mentoring Thread: Patch 9.23

    LoL Guide Mentoring Thread: Patch 9.23


    Mentoring Thread: Patch 9.23

    Posted: 20 Nov 2019 06:27 AM PST

    Please do not reply directly to the thread.

    Coaches: reply to the regional comments with the application format below.

    Students: contact coaches (PM/reply) before adding them in-game.



    Respect our Golden Rule. If you find that certain teachers/students are disrespectful, send us a message here.

    For all the previous weeks: https://www.reddit.com/r/summonerschool/wiki/archives


    Format for replies|Only Teachers should directly reply to the distinguished comments

    :--:|:--: Copy paste this and fill it up in your responses.

    Teacher:

    Summoner Name:

    **League / Division**: **Areas of expertise**: **Champions**: **Languages Spoken**: **Duration of Mentoring**: **Preferred Methods**: **Other Info**: 

    Previous Week Threads: https://www.reddit.com/r/summonerschool/wiki/archives


    General Guidelines for Students

    • You will be making the first contact by sending a PM or replying to the mentor of your choice.

    • Come prepared. What do you want to take away from this? Is there anything the mentors can review?

    • Know your issues: In which areas do you struggle?

    • You must understand that getting better is all about yourself. Bring your best attitude.

    • Be motivated. The results are proportional to the amount of effort you put in practice.

    • Mentors are here to assist and help you with the difficulties you encounter. This is not a way to find high elo Duo Queue partners.


    General Guidelines for Mentors

    • You will accept players of your choice as students upon receiving their messages. The responsibility to make further contact and set up times falls on you.

    • Be clear as to what you want to do for your student(s) in your description: Review replays, lane together in normals, experiment and practice in custom games, simply answer questions/discuss, etc.

    • Try to organize your sessions by having specific themes. You do not want to overburden someone with too much information at once.

    • Give yourself discussion prompts to avoid losing your trail of thought. Slow down, clarify your opinions and make sure the student understands.

    • It is important to always promote a positive attitude and mentality towards playing and improving.


    Tools

    submitted by /u/Botkwai
    [link] [comments]

    Is it just me or is Heimerdinger really good in low elo?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 08:09 AM PST

    I'm Gold 3 right now and I've climbed from low silver to Gold 3 by just spamming Heimerdinger. I've found that people in low elo generally don't know how to play into Heimerdinger. He isn't played much and is pretty easy to pick up in my opinion. He can really tilt people in lane and get free wins in games where people just have no idea how to counter him. People talk about Annie and Miss Fortune and Ammumu as low elo stompers but I feel like heimer is just as good. Am I stupid, or is Heimer actually good in low elo?

    submitted by /u/funkymunky267
    [link] [comments]

    Free coaching for everyone (Discord Coaching Community)

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 01:46 PM PST

    Hey guys,

    so I had this idea of creating a discord server which connects coaches and students a while ago and never really thought it could become something big but here we are!

    The server now has more than 70 coaches who all coach for free, there is no hidden paywall and the coaches go through an application process to make sure that the community stays clean and safe.

    I know that many people have concerns whether this is truly free so here is a screenshot of the review channel https://imgur.com/a/aZvAjY5

    In fact, it is my highest priority to keep this free and people who try to sell services are being kicked out immediately.

    Here is the invite to the server https://discord.gg/eAxUVdK

    The requirements for coaches is Platinum 2, if you consider becoming a coach feel free to join as well!

    I thought you guys might be interested in this!

    If you have further questions or suggestions please let me know!

    submitted by /u/SwaggyBone
    [link] [comments]

    Potentially useful tip: when someone locks in a flex champ, see what they banned to see where they are probably playing it

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 04:44 PM PST

    I haven't seen this tip on here before, and it's obviously not 100% foolproof. But you can see who banned what, in the champ select screen, the enemy team's bans for Summoner 1 through Summoner 5 go from left to right. And in general, people ban stuff they don't want to lane against. Like say Summoner 1 banned LeBlanc then instalocked Akali, then maybe they analysed the champions their team full of Plat 4 randos were hovering, identified their win condition and weaknesses, and realised that LB would be very strong into them and banned it. Nah who am I kidding, they obviously didn't. They went 0/10 against a LB last game and don't want to see her in their lane ever again. So if you're mid, you can usually make your pick based on the assumption that Akali is mid.

    submitted by /u/AniviaJTrump
    [link] [comments]

    Want to learn adc wave management

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 10:48 AM PST

    Hello!

    I am a diamond 4 adc main and I have noticed that my laning phase is very weak. I tend to just play safe and survive until late game where I can start to dominate with hypercarry champions. So I am interested in learning wave management so I can start taking control over my lane, but I find it kinda confusing at the moment. I can practice the execution ingame but it's hard to do when I can't even grasp the concepts.

    It is difficult for me to identify what lane state my matchup should be in for maximum benefit. I have tried doing some research but about 90% of the time the answer is, lock the wave in front of your tower, but if thats the case then when is the exception? When should I slow push? and so on.

    All help is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/FPZKryddan
    [link] [comments]

    There is practically no reason to never not play Teemo top and I want an argument against it

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 12:55 PM PST

    This is taken from a script I have been writing on lightly educating lower elo (I am D2 - D1) players on the choices they may make specifically in regards to top lane and champion pools (not playing the lane, but just that) and the importance of dodging the further down the line you go. I am looking to mainly see if there is are good arguments and disputes against the following piece. Please don't type bullshit like "they're not fun" as winning and climbing is the ultimate good feeling in LoL than playing champions like Yasuo and having schizo match ratios than anything consistent. The old and practical saying of "just play Annie" applies, of course.

    When it comes to top lane and someone is looking to main it for success than fun, I can no longer ever suggest they play and master anything but ranged champions or very certain champions like Akali and Gangplank (who poke for free in intricate and sustainable ways than melee) for maximum consistency. If you decide to make up a pool of or one-trick a melee champion, that is really your call but you know what you are likely getting yourself into in the metagame.

    Now there's a lot of nice ranged top picks you can go from to be successful like Ryze, Kennen, Vladimir, Vayne, Neeko, but these champions do have holes you can exploit by virtue of how few players in Solo Queue will aggressively compromise Teleport to truly fuck up their opposing laner by maximizing on ranged abuse. Champions like Vladimir also don't immediately start with being impossible and look more to scale than kill their opponents often.

    Teemo is, by comparison, is a champion that has absolutely no losing lanes top lane when he is mastered and is specifically designed to win the lane. It's his greatest strength and he is famously notorious for being a difficult lane. His incredibly toxic mains/OTP like to self-deprecate or claim this is false and that he sucks, but those are blatant lies. The champion has an immediate advantage through his abilities alone: He has poison ticking autos and a blind nuke. Also being tied to Ignite with the DoT, most people never dare to challenge him in a duel unless his lane is 100% fucked. Most of the time you see Teemo picked, the other laner is begging for Jungler assistance and there can be so much compromise in this with the state of the Dragon oriented meta game, especially if the gank goes wrong; Teemo is not exactly an easy champion to gank with his damage ratios and mushrooms and he can easily turn it around.

    If the jungler is exclusively sitting top lane in this day and age to remove him from the game, that in itself will introduce a shit ton of problems now unless the other team has some serious issues with understanding the advantages that presents. If you played much of the preseason now, you will know if the enemy jungler ever comes to gank top with dragon up the other team will race for the drake. Given you will probably lose the dragon, the prospect of fucking up a top gank or gaining nothing is so unattractive people don't really bother anymore.

    In a game now where winning lane means everything, I really suggest Teemo first and foremost. Quinn is similar to Teemo being tied to Ignite and ranged but is brutally more punishable and easy to exploit for reasons anyone can figure out just looking at her abilities.

    Another aspect tied to Teemo in proper hands compared to other ranged champions is how he can effectively death sentence his opponent if their wave management is poor or misplaced somehow. Many ranged champions can try this with a freeze but it can be possible to break like with Swain and his low damage output and intricate combos. But if you inappropriately shove waves in front of Teemo's tower, a good player can make sure you never CS again. This is something that does separate a questionable to average Teemo main to someone hovering D1+ maining him. Most good Teemo players control the waves in a distinct way to maximize denying CS compared to those that just shove non-stop inappropriately.

    The champion really has no discernible weaknesses in a lane other than what concerns jungler interference (this applies to everyone) and people like to argue he "scales poorly" but his mushrooms and general damage output are never scaling poorly with his preferred builds. The aspect of understanding Teemo post-laning just requires finesse and game knowledge you'll grasp at learning him. There is essentially a scummy troll player in high elo named Nubrac intentionally sabotaging lanes by flat out griefing in the support role but garnering wins through good shroom placements for teams willing to stomach him past laning. His mushrooms are amazing for denying objectives and sieging based on what happens if most people in a tank free metagame even misstep once.

    This is the one champion I also feel other than Heimerdinger top educates people on why dodging, counterpicking, and hiding your potental picks is preferable than trying to muscle it out with your one-trick Jax skills or some similar shit. When you choose to lane vs champions like Teemo or Heimer top willingly as a conventional melee champion, you aren't looking to carry, you're looking to stall for time in the hopes of being carried through laning because you didn't want to lose 3 LP.

    submitted by /u/fauxaffability
    [link] [comments]

    Focus on a role, yes, but don't forget to practice all 5 roles.

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 11:00 AM PST

    Although you can climb best by focusing on a limited champ pool and role selection, it still helps to have a good understanding of each role and their responsibilities/expectations/goals.

    Try to at least occasionally play all 5 roles for practice, be it normals, flex queue, etc.

    submitted by /u/IAMA_llAMA_AMA
    [link] [comments]

    What champions ACTUALLY use the Omnistone?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 10:31 AM PST

    I really don't know if there's any champion who can actually use it, I feel like every champion in the game has a better keystone choice. Only one that really comes to mind for me is Zoe, since she already has her E-Q nuke and I guess it could be decent to sometimes get comet on lane or dark havest, if you're so lucky. Maybe some tanky supports could benefit from it as well, but I really doubt it

    submitted by /u/RIPCLG
    [link] [comments]

    What are some tips to carry as a top laner?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 02:33 PM PST

    What are some tips that I should be aware of as a top laner for carrying games? Most of the time I end up beating the opposite top laner and trying to help losing lanes but in the end I end up losing the game anyways. Sometimes I feel like I have a easier time carrying as a mid laner because it is easier for me to roam bot, but I am maining top lane and want to climb with top lane only. I am low diamond 4.

    submitted by /u/Dczdcz
    [link] [comments]

    How much worse is the scaling hp shard compared to the armor/mr options

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 03:43 AM PST

    Let's say you are going top/mid lane and the enemy locks in Yasuo/Vladimir or something similar to that, in which case you are not sure who is going to be your lane opponent. In this type of scenario, I usually go hp, but I do not know if it's a good decision or not. What do you guys think? Are the armor/mr options that much better where you should just go for one of them depending on who is a more probable match-up for you? Or just take the hp?

    submitted by /u/SadPenguinsMakeMeSad
    [link] [comments]

    Counters to Autofill?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 12:43 PM PST

    so i'm diamond 2 as of right now and i've been playing a lot more lately, as you can see by my opgg, i am doing fine on my main role ADC, and i am quite confident in my knowledge and my skills, but whenever i get autofilled, i feel lost, my second most played champ is veigar, a mid laner, which i dont know a lot about mid lane. which is why i tend to lose a lot more with him than my main role. especially because since i hit diamond 1 i have been getting autofilled every second match, which is quite frustrating as i have been diamond 1 and got demoted twice in the last 3 days.

    so i've been wondering, how do i counter getting autofilled and what do you guys do? i tried dodging but i get a to a point where i have -14 lp diamond 1 and i gain like 15-17 per win, which sucks. so i cant really see it as a viable option right now. tried asking for my role but it never happens. so should i try learning how to play mid/supp or any other role?

    thanks in advance!

    my opgg: https://eune.op.gg/summoner/userName=neversit

    "NeverSit"

    submitted by /u/NeverSit
    [link] [comments]

    I'm turning into a toxic player and I hate it

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 02:37 PM PST

    This is probably a story as old as League itself, but... IRL I'm the nicest person ever. And when I started playing League, that plus the fact that I was new meant that I never flamed anyone, even if they flamed me. Especially when I first started, when people yelled at me for doing so-and-so, I just took it as a learning opportunity (i.e. assumed there was some truth behind the flame, and tried to learn from it).

    Now, about 1.5 years into playing League, I'm (a little) better at the game and so 99% of the time when I make a mistake, I immediately know that I made a mistake, what I did wrong, etc. So when people flame me for screwing up now, it brings out an *extremely* toxic side of me, and I'll flame back, etc. etc. Now this part I know can be easily solved by just muting, which I have been experimenting with. However, again now that I'm a little better at the game, the other thing that can really make me toxic (definitely not all the time, or even most of the time, but maybe 20% of the time) is when my teammates are the ones doing stupid things, running into the unwarded enemy jungle, my jungler trying to take dragon with no priority, these kinds of things. So in ~20% of *these* cases, I'll start flaming my teammates for whatever stupid thing they did/are doing. And every time this happens, I always feel terrible about it after the game and get this dirty feeling, especially because sometimes I'll say really mean things. Nothing racist/sexist/otherwise bigoted (ever), but for example, our top lane Shen got frustrated with his lane so he just abandoned it and came mid (my lane), so I started asking him if he was this much of a baby in real life and if everyone he knew hated him for it, just really mean, unnecessary stuff.

    So TLDR: I can mute to prevent myself from getting triggered by other people flaming me, but I'm wondering how more experienced players prevent themselves from being toxic towards other players due to something that happens in-game? Because right now if I get tilted enough I'll just unmute so I can flame. And I hate flaming people!

    submitted by /u/daishi55
    [link] [comments]

    Jungle path: Op or Suboptimal

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 08:25 AM PST

    So I have had a lot of debate on jungle patching lately with the new changes for preseason 10 and found a jungle path that I feel is pretty strong but I know a lot of people disagree. So I wanted to get some other options on it. It is roughly based on hyper farming around camp timers and taking objectives. I start on the same side as dragon either blue or red and clear the remain camps on that side before taking the other buff then backing. I buy items then return to clear the last to camps, ganking mid and then having mid help me secure dragon on spawn. Buy the time this is all said and done I can return to the same camps I started on dragon side because they will come up around this time. I have found a lot of success with this path granted there is a lot of variation depending on the game, because you may be able to opt to counter jungle or gank instead of taking dragon if you don't have priority for it and then return to take camps as they spawn. Please let me know your thoughts on the path, and help me determine if it is a pretty decent path or if I should start taking another path, and thanks for helping me with this.

    submitted by /u/SmackyDaPappy
    [link] [comments]

    kayn pathing

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 03:44 PM PST

    any new tips for kayn jungle pathing in sesaon 10? Do you still do the red, krugs, raptors, and then clear another side of the jg?

    I also wonder if the kayn jungle pathing from wolves to raptors, red and krugs are still viable or not. Thanks in advanced :)

    I feel like I'm doing wrong and make a lot of mistakes in this season

    submitted by /u/roll28122005
    [link] [comments]

    Big Damage Garen?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 03:30 PM PST

    Today I was playing Garen trying to get the hang of one of the easiest champions in game so I've been told and I tried to build the Sanguine Blade after trinity force for a Garen that does big damage. However, it didn't do that well, which might have been cause of runes. So I just want to ask, how do you rune and build a big damage Garen? Crit? Items?

    submitted by /u/JuneNi
    [link] [comments]

    How do you choose which roles and champs you're going to put time and effort into learning and playing?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 04:35 AM PST

    Do you just play things that you find to be fun or do you consider other things when picking what to play, particularly when considering what you want to play well into the future? Is there something you're aspiring towards right now (aside from some rank)?

    submitted by /u/Arvail
    [link] [comments]

    How to deal against Morgana as Nami ?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 02:09 PM PST

    So I had a lane with Draven vs Caitlin and Morgana and everytime I tried to land a bubble she just blackshield and her q has a very long range . And for Caitlyn that was impossible to trade with her. Draven got Cait' passive . So if you ever had this situation please tell me how should I lane against that.

    submitted by /u/KoreanApe
    [link] [comments]

    New to mid lane s10

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 12:06 AM PST

    I am currently a high bronze low silver mmr player Anything from bII-SIII I see often two tricking as jhin botlane and Diana midlane

    I usually place my first ward behind raptor cap or the enemy blue buff

    The thing is then I am left without the tower vision in the event I have to back leading to Rengar or khazix jumping me should I be placing my pink wards here instead of in enemy jungle/mid lane bush or what not I feel as if I'm not utilizing the ward to it's fullest leading me to be set behind though I have have vision scores.

    submitted by /u/John_boy_90
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with the new jungle

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 07:26 AM PST

    Hey guys, I'm a jungle main since season 3. Last season I was a beast, always had a positive impact on every game and sometimes hard carrying.

    I didn't abuse hyper ganking, my style was more of a efficient clearing while finding windows to gank/pressure lanes as well as sneak early objectives if possible.

    After these jungle changes, everything feels off. And it's impossible to catch up when behind. The only games where I did well were the ones I had either got a successful lvl3 gank or invaded a weak jungler. What are your thoughts on these changes? And what play style fits this season best?

    submitted by /u/P3rsy
    [link] [comments]

    Why are people building roa and tear on Kass?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 01:15 PM PST

    I get what it's trying to do, the problem is I never get it done. I've played so many games with this build, and even if it was just me that's the problem, you would think that eventually I would pop off. But I just don't. I do no damage ever, and the game ends before I become a champion. One or the other makes sense, and as much as I would love to build both for the mother of all mana pools, I just can't get it to work. Is there something I'm missing?

    submitted by /u/DatFrostyBoy
    [link] [comments]

    Does the new jungle benefit or hurt Ivern?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 03:23 AM PST

    Hello fellow summoners!

    I'm a flex low-mid gold player, and I'm looking at a few possible new champs to pick up for this upcoming season. I know that the jungle changes had a dramatic effect on some of the picks that people are choosing as far as junglers go, so I was curious to get peoples takes on if it's become better or worse a space for Ivern to play in? I recently saw Exil's video about Ivern, and I wasn't around during his big overpowered days, and I also never really see him picked. So i'm curious if there are any Ivern players or mains here who might want to offer an opinion or two. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/GoldenLink
    [link] [comments]

    Low gold champ select

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 03:43 AM PST

    Hi summoners. Im low gold (gold4) and i would like to ask about what should i focus on in champion select soloq when pick champ (im toplaner and i can play any toplane champ at similiar level). Should i look more at my team composition and fill what we lack or maybe just counterpick enemy toplaner? Also as first pick should i be more oriented into teamfight potential or splitpush?

    submitted by /u/kisiq
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone else feel like champs such as veigar and nasus arent as late game as they once were? how do I play around this?

    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 08:06 PM PST

    (long time league player, just want to mention i at one time mained nasus and veigar because i liked the idea of stacking infinitely and becoming an unstoppable force. i learned to play them fairly early on when starting league. while researching and trying to improve it also taught me some things about wave control and keeping the thought in my mind that farming is very valuable. of course that all is obvious to me NOW but then it was extremely helpful)

    but now lets go to today, it feels impossible to punish these champions without a reliable jungler, which you cant just expect to have so you should focus on your own play and what YOU can do to deny them. going against nasus when laning starts you an punish him, poke him out of lane, overall shit on him. but say 5-10 minutes in, depending on a few factors of how well is he controlling the lane, is he making dumb decisions for a few precious stacks, etc.. when he gets a sheen you feel like you just lose. even with minimal stacks he begins to win trades, some just ignore you and farm, and it feels bad to play against. doesnt help when you take 500 damage, only to see thats the 150 stack nasus with a sheen you been denying all game.

    same with veigar which is (to put it short so i dont type so much) the same as nasus. get a ludens, stack in a mediocre fashion in lane, W Q R and die 100-0 then you force your opponent to go back to base and cry as they build hexdrinker and mercs.

    how do you even play around this? its for sure not a free win, but i admit i got some bs wins just playing these champs as of recent while under performing in every way then getting an item then winning. what is even defined as "late game" as of now? 15 minutes or so?

    submitted by /u/DamnAnnieTHICC
    [link] [comments]

    What is wrong with picking both barrier AND heal?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 05:35 AM PST

    What is wrong with picking both barrier AND heal? In ranked I get flamed if I try. People assume I'm trolling.

    What is so bad about it? Please explain.

    It seems like if you're in a particularly tough 1v1 matchup top, that a barrier and heal would be super helpful for surviving/getting the upper hand.

    Please explain why it's considered such a troll thing to take both of these spells together?>

    submitted by /u/My3DTeemo
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment